Monday 20 April 2015

Making Jeans-My way. Part 1

The whole of April has left me consumed with making my own Jeans. So far I've made 4 pairs from two patterns and have been fairly happy with the outcome.

In the beginning I was looking for a mid rise, boot cut, style that I could make up in a dark denim. Dark denim has been off the market lately. In favor now is the faded, distressed, destroyed look for skinnys and BF jeans. I have plenty of the faded and distressed. I want dark denim back because its dressier for work.

First I made McCall's 6610 in a nice stretch twill. I blogged about it here. They became my wearable muslin.

I made my next pair in a non stretch/woven. I think they turned out great, but there is still lots of room for tweaking. One thing I will do next time - I will make them a tad smaller. Jeans need to fit SNUG because they stretch out within hours of wearing them.
I don't have a great picture of the fly front and topstitching, but it's nice. I did a triple stitch at 3.5. I used Güttermann polyester topstitching thread. I think I could get obsessed with topstitching.

This is me showing off my Perfectly fitted waistband and yoke.

The McCall's pattern 6610 was not as straight forward as it could have been. There were lots of fitting tips which was good but I thought the zipper application was complicated with a separate fly. I combined it to a one piece and use a Kwik sew method.

Altered the yoke to my measurements.

Drafted a fitted 2 piece waist band.

Made the rise petite.

Added 1/4 inch to the hips. This I will not do next time.

Slimmed out the legs by at least an inch.

When attaching the waistband used a larger seam allowence to lower the waist.

Used snaps instead of button/ buttonholes.

On my next pair in this pattern I will:

Take out about 1/4 to 1/2 inch vertically through the tummy area- not the hips.

Slim out the thigh a1/4 inch more.

Add 1 inch to my altered length. They shrunk after I washed them even though I pre washed in hot water and hot dryer.

My next post- Part 2- will be Skinny pants BURDA 6855 I have made 2 pairs from this pattern.

Thanks for stopping by.

 

 

 

No comments: